Here’s what’s (ostensibly) in the time capsule from 49 years ago, buried on the 200th anniversary of Charlottesville:
- The Daily Progress and Wall Street Journal
- A letter from Mayor Lewis Scribner to the mayor of 2012
- The Daily Progress’ ceremonial edition on the occasion of the 200th anniversary of the city
- Chamber of Commerce publications
- Maps and pictures
- A letter from the fire chief to the fire chief of 2012
Now, that ain’t bad, but it doesn’t show any particular imagination on the part of the people who buried the thing in 1962. Since it’s a foregone conclusion that there’s going to be another time capsule buried next year, to be opened on the occasion of some future anniversary, what should be in that one? What is our message to the people of the future—or, if it’s fifty years from now, ourselves in the future (for some of us)?